Monday 17 June 2013

Putting brush to lead

I've been a collector for more years than I care to remember, but there was a time when I also gamed and painted. I say painted - I once covered a box set of Citadel Warrior Knights of Law with Humbrol enamel silver paint. That was the early 1980s, and back then I played most of my games (mainly Warhammer with a smattering of D&D, Traveller and MERP) with figures IN BARE METAL! Yes that's right. I know. Shame on me. Fast-foward a couple of decades and these were my next attempts:


A big improvement over a thick coat of silver, but still short of where I want to be, which is to be able to paint to a tabletop standard quickly.

Another year or so later and these came next:



I was fairly pleased with these. I admit, not a Golden Demon in site but pretty close to where I wanted to be. BUT, they are not finished, and that's how they have remained.

Hopefully that is about to change. I've entered the painting challenge over on the BLOOD forum and I'm hoping this will give me the impetus to get my paint brush in gear. Here is what I'm entering:


So there, I've blogged it so now I'm committed. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. That is a very nice "squad" of Minotaurs. Really like that collection. Painted one myself not too long ago. I wish you good luck and looking forward to see the finished result ... no pressure :) /Hans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you for jumping in! I find painting challenges as a wonderful motivator to get things done, try new techniques, and hone your skills. Theya re also great at building "community" in a forum.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those early attempts aren't too shabby!

    Good luck with the Painting Challenge - just off to glue my lot to their bases, file off mould lines and prime them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great unit of Minotaurs, look forward to seeing them painted.

    Nice painting on the others too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great work, practice makes perfect keep it up, can't wait to see more.
    J

    ReplyDelete